Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Beauty Philosophy

As January comes to a close, the February chapter opens– marking the "third trimester" of winter. Now, I don't know the first thing about pregnancy but enough rumor has formed that the third trimester is the toughest, and frankly the most annoying. Though February is the shortest month of the year, I feel like it always drags. In leu of getting through this last bit, I thought it might be nice to talk about something happy!

When I set out to start this blog a few months ago, I promised that I wouldn't deviate from my underlying goal: through talking about the things I'm (personally) attracted to, I hope that I am ultimately communicating that what money can buy is just an accessory... the canvas, your own skin is where confidence has to originate from. With so much buzz floating around of new clothing and makeup collections for Spring, I wanted to press pause for a minute and focus on confidence.

I feel like between ages 18 and 30, every woman experiences her evolution of personal style where they trend-hop and little by little adjust their closet and go-to product line-up from quantity to quality, defining the things that most accentuate their given outer skins. Along the ride we're all figuring out what works, what doesn't work... some of us late bloomers, and some born with Louboutin's on their feet! It's easy to get distracted in the wild world of beauty and fashion via product or brand hype, via what we see and what's recommended to us in magazines, via blogs, YouTube, red carpets, etc. There's an overload of opinion out there, all for the taking (or the leaving)– but how often are women conscious or focused on their definition(s) of beauty? How original are we these days in our personal style?

I thought I'd generate a few questions about "beauty in the eye of the beholder", answer them myself, and then encourage you all to ponder them as well. So, here we go!
  1. How do you define beauty?
    In my mind, I don't envision anyone or any particular thing... I think about embracing ones given traits. Curves, curly hair, a shorter height. I think often women pick on themselves vs. seeing the advantages in what make them unique, and how that makes them different from females who prefer cookie-cutter appearances. Example, I know many flatter chested women who see themselves as less feminine than those blessed with larger chests and I wonder have they seen Gwenyth Paltrow in a low diving v-neck red carpet gown? Or Mila Kunis's all-American girl character in "Friends with Benefits"? They're both stunning women who confidently rock a smaller chest.

  2. Describe your personal style in three words:
    Colorful, comfortable, creative. (All C's.. wow.)

    This is going beyond three words, but, whatever... I generally dress in a preppy way I guess you could say. I'm drawn to a more tailored style, but like to make it my own by injecting color. I'm 5'2" and don't often wear heels and while I'm on the shy-ish side, I don't like to blend in or be forgettable.

  3. Who is your style icon? Why?
    Though I've never seen one episode of The OC, Rachel Bilson as her columnist self for InStyle mag I really admire. I genuinely feel she's conscious of the many frustrations everyday women have when it comes to clothing, and her advice I think is often times spot-on appropriate to those whom seek her opinion.

    Another celebrity style I enjoy is Lauren Conrad's. I am a fan of her sense of calm, she comes off as accessible and ultimately her fashion rule is comfort which I appreciate. I also really like her youtube channel "beautydept".

    *If I had to pick a designer (not that LC isn't a designer), I'm a fan of Vera Wang. She seems very in-touch with what it means to be a female and that that's a powerful thing. It shows in her design, and her attention to detail and shape.

  4. Who is your cosmetics/skincare/haircare icon? Why?
    Bobbi Brown. Hands down. I find her cosmetics brand message to be less about covering things up, but more about accenting one's given features while at the same time encouraging women to never stop playing with makeup. Compounded with the fact that BB formulas are well done.

    I'm in love with Dove from a product message point-of-view as well. Clinique also comes across as a brand that understands the definition of products meant to enhance vs. turn you into someone else. BareMinerals' brand message of "be a force of beauty" is also nice, but I'm not the biggest fan of their products for me personally.

    *To name a few "guru community" people whom I enjoy watching, I'd say: TiffanyD, amarixe, missglamorazzi, and FluerDeForce – some for tutorials, and some for product reviews... All in all, these select girls to me come across as the most genuine and address real-world female problems be it a breakout, dark circles, etc. I appreciate that about them, whereas other community personalities come across to be more into the brands and the hauls. As mentioned before, I also enjoy watching the beautydept channel, as well as Birchbox's channel and Bobbi Brown channel.

  5. If you could choose just one cosmetic item to wear in public for the rest of your life, what would it be?
    Concealer. I am most insecure about my under-eye circles... other than that, I could (eventually) accept a life without makeup.

  6. In what clothing item do you feel least comfortable/least yourself in? And most comfortable?
    A suit. I'm comfortable being polished and sophisticated, but in a suit it feels like acting. Most comfortable I'd say a flowy top (think Anthropologie/Francesca's) and leggings.

  7. What feature, of yourself, would you not trade for the world? And what feature would you enhance if given the opportunity?
    My eyes. They're large and in charge, but they make me me. I wouldn't change a thing about me, cosmetically. I mean that. I think it's normal for any woman to have a lull where maybe she's not so confident about her tummy area or haircut or whatever... but, those are all within our control. That's my favorite part of being a woman!– it's a hallpass to try new things and see what works.

So that's it I guess for my personal philosophy on beauty!– It's easy to act, it's easy to layer yourself with brands and products, it's easy to hide behind trends and call it "you". Take the time to learn about yourself ladies, it's a powerful thing knowing exactly who you are :)





No comments:

Post a Comment